Target group marketing for winter sports tourism (making a difference)
• Yesterday the guests came anyway. Today the all-important words are "target group marketing" in order to successfully attract and keep new guests. Rather than far away destinations, other (even neighbour) resorts are the direct competitors.
• For an average mountain tourist it is not easy to decide where to go, as most mountain resorts offer too much of the same or too little of additional interest. Also in many cases the resort names on brochures are too replaceable.
• Emphasizing on what is making the difference as an added value in comparison to other resorts provides a clear choice for the guest.
• Unfortunately it is impossible to make every kind of guest equally happy or to all concentrate on the guest with lots of money and few desires. Instead choices have to be made and innovation is called for.
• After all it is much more competitive not to offer more of the same at e.g. a lower price, but by marketing the alternative through new concepts and better organization.
•Defining both particular and valuable target groups and their special interests and demands.
• E.g. life-style, young-old, school-retired, male-female, single-family, individual-groups, trendy-traditional, active-passive, nature-nightlife, quiet-entertainment, reality-virtual reality, sportive-cultural, adventure-recreation, fitness-relaxation, modest-prestige, reserved-social, hamburger-gastronomy, price-quality, plain-service, and so on.
• Evaluation if the resort is able to comply with these interests and demands.
• E.g. investments, infrastructure, programming, organization, co-operation, local acceptance, motivation, quality and price, environment, and so on.
• Selection of desired target group(s).
• Extensive market research by Unlimited Snow shows numerous neglected target group opportunities with considerable potential to stand out from the crowd.
• Creation of plan of action.
• Long term strategy, tasks, time schedule, required local changes and implementations, training and motivation, internal and external communication, promotion, partners, alliances, markets, and so on.
• Adapting to target group special interests by creating the perfect match of supply and demand, also by involving the desired target group as much as possible throughout the process. Making promises or creating expectations, which cannot be kept, will back fire and must be avoided at any time.
• Communication with target group.
• New message, emotion, information, brochures, qualitative rather than quantitative, special interest media, travel industry, selected target group distribution, free publicity, advertising, commercials, sponsoring, events, joint promotion, cross promotion, and so on.
•Motivated people can enjoy effort and success in their work.
•Spoil the new target group in any way possible.
•Have patience and no not expect instant success the first season.
•Main part of image building for a new target group by the power of word of mouth guarantees to get the right people in the right place at the right time. After all, people feel at home where they meet other people with the same interests and life style.
|Unlimited Snow P.O. Box 75835 NL - 1070 AV Amsterdam
Tel: +31 (0)20 4714640 Fax to e-mail: +31 (0)847106619